Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Why We Celebrate Veterans Day

To be quite honest, most of my life I was confused about all the many holidays and what we were celebrating.  All I knew was that I didn't have to go to school. 

In fact even during much of my service I never knew what each of the military holidays were about.  I would imagine that many Americans are where I was and I've dedicated this post to clearing some confusion about what it is that we celebrate.

Why do we celebrate Veterans Day?

Veterans Day was previously known as Armistice Day to celebrate the end of World War 1 (officially ending on November 11, 1918).  Armistice Day was "dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be hereafter celebrated and known as 'Armistice Day.'"  Although in 1954, the purpose of the holiday was expanded to celebrate veterans of all wars.

With all the homecoming soldiers, airmen, seamen, and marines we have more and more veterans to include in that number.

Standing dangerously close to the business end of that camel

Not too long ago, I found out that many of those I served with in Afghanistan are now serving in Iraq, and it is with heartfelt thanks and with deep appreciation I say, "Stay safe out there fellas."

I think this holiday comes at a great time in the year - being so close to Thanksgiving, a day set aside to express true gratitude for all that we do indeed enjoy in our lives. 

The veterans we know and don't know all play a part in our having the privilege of living free.



Honoring fellow veterans on Veterans Day - Dr. Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment